We will learn a variety of phrasal verbs that begin with the word Cut in this article. Each phrasal verb’s meaning, along with examples, will be presented.
List of Phrasal verbs with Cut
Here is the list of phrasal verbs starting with the word “Cut“.
- Cut out
- Cut up
- Cut into
- Cut down on
- Cut away
- Cut back
- Cut down
- Cut across
- Cut off
- Cut in
Let us see the meaning of each phrasal verb with Cut and their usage in a sentence.
1. Cut out
Cut out meaning: Defeat somebody; eliminate somebody.
Using Cut out in a sentence:
- One has to cut out all one’s rivals.
2. Cut up
Cut up meaning: Cut into pieces
Using Cut up in a sentence:
- My brother cut up the chicken.
3. Cut into
Cut into meaning: Intervene
Using Cut into in a sentence:
- You should not try to cut into my personal matter.
4. Cut down on
Cut down on meaning: Reduce one’s consumption
Using Cut down on in a sentence:
- She should cut down on sugar.
5. Cut away
Cut away meaning: Remove by cutting
Using Cut away in a sentence:
- Dave cut away all the dry branches of the oak tree.
6. Cut back
Cut back meaning: To do less of something or use something in smaller amounts.
Using Cut back in a sentence:
- The state government has announced plans to cut back on education spending by 5% next year.
7. Cut down
Cut down meaning: To make a tree or other plant fall to the ground by cutting in near the bottom.
Using Cut down in a sentence:
- We should stop cutting down trees to save the earth.
8. Cut across
Cut across meaning: To go straight from one side of an area to another instead of going round.
Using Cut across in a sentence:
- If we cut across the forest, it’ll save time.
9. Cut off
Cut off meaning: Remove by cutting
Using Cut off in a sentence:
- The butcher cut off the head of the chicken.
10. Cut in
Cut in meaning: Starts working
Using Cut in in a sentence:
- The emergency lights cut in.