Looking for the words that start with vowels but don’t use An with them! We have collected such words and compiled them into a list.
You might have learned in lower grades from your teachers that the article “A” is used before the consonants and the article “An” before the vowels. This basic rule for vowels and consonants was imparted in such a way that it was very difficult to terminate this basic rule from our minds. Many a time, the child gets confused and thinks repeatedly……..A………?….. or ……….An……? Don’t worry, we have a solution to this confusion.
When a word begins with a vowel but sounds like a consonant. It is always preceded by the article “A”. Selection of “A” or “An” depends on the opening sound of the word. If it is like a consonant, use “A” before the word and if it sounds like a vowel, use “An” before the word.
List of Words that start with Vowels but don’t use “An”
The following is a list of words that we use in our everyday life. Besides, there are hundreds of words that begin with a Vowel but sound like a Consonant. The phonetic transcription of each word is given against the word in brackets.
|UFO||(ju ɛf ˈəʊ)|
- The eucalyptus tree is known for its medicinal properties.
- I prefer to pay in euros when traveling in Europe.
- The ewer on the table is filled with fresh water.
- One of my favorite hobbies is going for nature walks.
- Many people believe in the existence of UFOs.
- The soldiers all wear a uniform while on duty.
- The workers in the factory formed a union to negotiate better wages.
- The unique design of the building sets it apart from others in the area.
- The choir sang in unison during the performance.
- Each unit of measurement is important in scientific experiments.
- The goal of the organization is to unite people of all backgrounds.
- The concept of unity is important in many religions and belief systems.
- Univalent elements have only one valence electron.
- The theory of evolution is considered a universal scientific principle.
- The study of the universe is a fascinating field of science.
- I am currently a student at XYZ University.
- Uranium is commonly used as a fuel in nuclear power plants.
- Urea is a crucial component in fertilizers.
- The urinal in the men’s restroom is out of order.
- The usage of this word has changed over time.
- I always make sure to use sunscreen before going outside.
- The kitchen utensils were all arranged neatly in the drawer.
- The uterus is an essential organ in the reproductive system.
- The utility company is responsible for maintaining the power grid.
- The eucalyptus leaves are often used to make essential oils.
- The Euro is the official currency of many European countries.
- The ewer is a decorative piece of pottery.
- One of the main benefits of Eucalyptus is its soothing aroma.
- UFO sightings are reported all over the world.
- All the employees have to wear the company uniform.
- The union helped the workers to get better working conditions.
- The unique feature of this phone is its foldable screen.
- The choir sang in unison, creating a beautiful harmony.
- Each unit in this building has its own balcony.
- The goal of the organization is to unite different cultures.
- Unity among the team members is crucial for success.
- Univalent elements are found in Group 1 of the periodic table.
- The theory of evolution is considered a universal principle in biology.
- The universe is made up of billions of galaxies.
- The University offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Uranium is a radioactive element that can be used to generate nuclear energy.
- Urea is a common ingredient in many types of fertilizers.
- The urinal in the restroom is out of order. Please use another one.
- The usage of this word has changed over time. It has a different meaning today.
- Use this product according to the instructions on the label.
- The kitchen utensils are made of high-quality stainless steel.
- The uterus is a vital organ in the female reproductive system.
- The utility company is responsible for providing electricity, gas, and water.
- The eucalyptus tree is native to Australia.
- The Euro is the currency of the European Union.
1 thought on “Words that start with Vowels but don’t use An”
If the sentence says “a cat and an ostrich”. Is that correct? Without “an” preceding “ostrich”, it sounds like we are saying there’s an animal that is a combination of the two creatures. And that’s not correct.