Emailing HR to refer a friend for a job opening can be a great way to help a friend find new employment and expand your own professional network. Here are some tips for writing an effective referral email to HR.
Tips on How to Write Email to HR for Referring a Friend
1. Use a professional subject line. The subject line of your email should clearly state the purpose of your message, such as “Referral for [Position Name].” This will make it easy for HR to quickly identify the content of your email and prioritize it accordingly.
2. Address the HR representative by name. If possible, find out the name of the HR representative responsible for the job opening and address them directly in your email. This shows that you have taken the time to research and are genuinely interested in helping your friend.
3. Provide a clear and concise introduction. In the first few sentences of your email, explain who you are, your relationship to the candidate, and why you think they would be a good fit for the position.
4. Include the candidate’s resume and cover letter. Attach the candidate’s resume and cover letter to the email so HR can quickly review their qualifications.
5. Highlight the candidate’s qualifications and experiences. In the body of the email, explain why the candidate is a good fit for the position, highlighting their qualifications and relevant experiences. Be specific and provide examples, if possible.
6. Make it easy for HR to contact the candidate. Provide the candidate’s contact information, including their email address and phone number, so HR can quickly contact them.
7. End the email with a call to action. Encourage the HR representative to reach out to the candidate and express your willingness to answer any questions they may have.
8. Proofread your email. Make sure your email is free of grammatical errors and typos.
Following these tips, you can write an effective referral email to help your friend land the job and strengthen your relationship with HR.
Sample Email to HR for Referring a Friend
Subject: Referral for Marketing Manager Position
Dear [HR representative’s name]
I am writing to refer a friend and former colleague, [Candidate’s name], for the Marketing Manager position currently open at [Company name]. I have worked with [Candidate’s name] for the past three years at [Company name], and I can confidently say they would be an excellent fit for this position.[Candidate’s name] has a wealth of experience in marketing, with a proven track record of developing and implementing successful campaigns. They are skilled communicators and leaders and deeply understand the latest marketing trends and technologies. In my time working with [Candidate’s name], they have consistently demonstrated a strong work ethic and a commitment to achieving results.
I have attached [Candidate’s name]’s resume and cover letter for your review. I believe his/her qualifications and experience make them an ideal candidate for the Marketing Manager position, and I highly recommend them for this role.
Please feel free to contact [Candidate’s name] directly via email at [Candidate’s email] or by phone at [Candidate’s phone number]. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about [Candidate’s name]’s qualifications or provide additional information as needed.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.